Friday, February 06, 2009

Sweet & Recycled

Today I played--thanks to Alisa Burke's Cloth Paper Scissors article entitled Paper & Plastic. Here are the pictures to prove it. Basically, I fused these plastic bags together by turning them inside out, placing them between two pieces of paper, ensuring the pieces of paper were larger than the bags to avoid a melting mess on my iron, and fusing them with my iron on a medium-heat setting.
Once they were fused together, I cut the fused plastic down to a 12-x-12-inch piece. Then I was like a kid again--I got to play with my acrylic paints, foam stamps, rubber stamps, Cuttlebug/Cuttlebug dies, Sizzix dies, black staz-on ink, glimmer mists, heat tool, embroidery thread/needle, and sewing machine. I even got to use my favorite buttons! It was a blast and a project I was jazzed about--I just couldn't stop until it was completed. Then I got out some black/white polkadot material for the lining, cut it to about the size of the piece of fused plastic, and sewed the wrong sides of the fabric and fused plastic together. Then I just had to fold the fabric into three panels, like a letter, and stitch up the sides of the lower panel. It was actually pretty easy. I think I got ALL of my tools dirty on that one, and my hands, and my desk . . .
















Here's a card I made last Sunday just before the Super Bowl. My daughter's BFF, Katie, was turning 19 on Tuesday, and I was inspired by a card I had recently seen in Paper Crafts' Card Creations, Quick & Easy, Volume 2, designed by Courtney Kelley. Here's my take using the Cricut with Indie Art Solutions Cartridge, some chipboard, the Cuttlebug with Houndstooth Embossing Folder, and October Afternoon pattered papers I had recently got in a Scrapbookloversdream.com kit.



















If you're interested in the cut file, here's the mediafire link--enjoy: http://www.mediafire.com/?wn0mqmzjmnm

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome bag! Thanks for sharing...followed you from SB.com

SharonDB said...

This is so cool! Saw this on sb.com too, gotta try this out myself. Awesome & environmental! :)

Anonymous said...

Very nice card. Thanks for sharing.

Debbie

Seaexplore said...

LOVE that bag! WTG!